2/5/10

Love is in the air!

It's the week BEFORE Valentine's Day, but you wouldn't know it by hanging out at our house!

In the 5th grade is the first time I really remember discussing boys with my friends. I don't think I was quite ready to like one, much less touch one, but talking about them had become interesting. Thinking about them was no longer a taboo subject.

Evidentally, though MY fifth grader is much more mature at 10 than I was. I guess we already knew that, though, from her first date. Well, Colton, the same boy, officially asked her to be his Valentine yesterday, and she accepted. He has asked to take her once again to the movies next weekend, and we have agreed. Maybe they will look at each other this time, or maybe they will even speak...before we are in the parking lot, heading in opposite directions, and they get on the phone. I have informed her, though, that I gave her last time with no pictures as not to mortify her, but I AM taking pictures this time around. One day she will thank me for it!

Just so you know, we DO have rules about dating, and we DO believe 10 is too young to actually date. However, we also realize that these kids will hide and sneak to get what they want, and we do not want that. We want an open communication with our daughter, and we want her to grow up happy and healthy. Therefore, although I tease about her "dates," this is not actually a date. This is two friends, who happen to be of the opposite sex, getting to visit and do fun things. They are not allowed to go alone. Parents will be with them. I talked to Kylee about all of this last night and told her the same. I told her it is normal to be interested and curious about boys, and that it was okay to feel that way and even okay to talk to me about it. I also let her know there was nothing wrong with liking boys and wanting to hang out with boys, but there would be rules. I told her as she gets older, she will be allowed to do things w/out me hanging around all the time, such as going to the movies with a bunch of friends and the boy she likes also going. I even told her that I had done it, and I had held hands with the boy I liked. BUT she knows for her own well-being, that she will not be allowed to be alone with him until....well, until we decide she's ready and it's appropriate. {Just a little side note for those of you concerned that I had no parental awareness of the birds and the bees}

Her brother also has love on the brain, but only because his teacher sent home a cupid for him to decorate. They will be hung in the hallway next week for Valentine's celebrations. Blaine has very specific ideas for how he wants things, and you will not change his mind. On the way to buy some things to decorate with, Kylee and I were both throwing ideas out there for him, just so we would know what we needed to get. He finally threw up his hands and said, "You are getting in my head, and I don't want you in my head. Don't tell me anything else." So...we didn't.

He told me he needed to buy chonies for the cupid, and Kylee told him she had some Valentine material. I asked him if it would be okay if we made the chonies out of her material. He agreed. (shew!) Then he wanted Valentine pom poms and heart foamie things. He also bought glittery letters.

Here is his finished product, all a vision in his head that he brought to life.


Let the Valentine love begin!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...