2/24/10

B(rrr)atter Up!

Well, the 2010 "Spring" season of baseball has officially begun, and I'm here to tell ya, my friends, there was NOTHING "spring" about what we sat through last night! It was 41 degrees, but with the wind chill, it HAD to be 30! I was there in my hoodie, jacket, stadium seat & blanket. This is not my first rodeo, and, I'm beginning to understand, it's not even close to my last.

The nice thing about my girl child, you see, is she likes to dance, play piano, and head the Student Council. These are all INDOOR activities. I'm comfortable in her setting. There's a thermostat that CONTROLS the temperature where she performs. But with my boy child, he wants to play baseball, and as far as I know, there are no INDOOR baseball leagues, so Mother Nature controls that temperature. Yeah, not so comfortable in that setting.

Anyway, last night the season started with a double hitter. {Yes, I know it's header, but MY baseball player calls it a double hitter.} Our boys did so well. I was so proud of them. They won the first game and tied the second. I really think we would have won the second had it not been so dadgum cold and had the boys not already played one game. I think this gonna be a good, good season!

Blaine is SO intense! All he wants is to please Coach and his Daddy. If you ask the other boys, Blaine's coach and his Daddy are one in the same. But in Blaine's mind, that's simply not true. You see when Blaine started playing ball two years (:-o) ago, his Daddy was just a spectator with the rest of us. As the season went on, Coach (not Daddy) needed some help, so he recruited Blaine's Daddy. So to Blaine,

Coach is on the left. Daddy is on the right. The next season, since Coach was so busy with all his team, Daddy BECAME Coach....except not to Blaine. So although Joey actually is the head coach of Blaine's team, he's still just Daddy. The OTHER one is "Coach".

Joey had his second oral surgery yesterday morning, so Coach was going to coach the double header last night. Of course, Joey is stubborn as all get out, so even though he wasn't coaching, he went. But Coach still coached. Clear as mud? Ok. On we go!

Blaine was so ready for this season to get on it's way! He was primed, ready, jumping around, talking to "Blue".....VERY! Derek Jeter. He would yell at Coach to give him the play, 'cause, you know, Daddy does. When Coach would tell him something, he'd nod his head and spit. You know, 'cause all good baseball players spit! And when Coach would yell at him -- because he DOES yell....at all of them -- he'd nod his head very seriously and make sure he did what he was asked. After his first out, he looked at Coach and grinned such an accomplished grin, I almost cried.

But then his Daddy couldn't stand it anymore. It was the last game, last inning, and we were tied. We only needed ONE run to win, last batter, bases loaded. Joey was as intense as his mini-me. As Blaine ran home, Joey yelled, "Slide, Son, slide!!" Blaine got to the dug out, yelled at me in the stands through the fence, tears streaming down his cold, red face. When I got down there and asked what was wrong, all he said was, "Daddy yelled loud at me!"

Y'all, Coach has yelled at this boy so much I can't even count the times or he occassions. All it does his make him determined to please. He doesn't cry. He doesn't even pout. He just sets his sights on getting it right. So I just figured he was tired and cold.

When I asked him why he doesn't cry when Coach yells at him, he turned with his Steve Taylor-pouty lip stuck out and said, "Because Coach isn't my Daddy."

Told you they weren't one in the same!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...