1/15/10

The sky is falling!

Last night was parent-teacher conferences. What an eye opener for sure! When I left work, I told my judge, Okay, I'm off to parent teacher conferences. I'll hear that Kylee is an angel and Blaine talks to much.
I did hear both of those things, and so much more...so much more. Dad Dad picked the kids up from school, and I knew there were going to be long lines in both classrooms, so I just headed straight to the school. I went to Blaine's class first because kinder is ALWAYS more packed than 5th grade. Luckily, Mrs. Murphy had a sign-in sheet. I got here about five minutes before five, so I signed in for the 5:40 slot, and went upstairs to Mr. Garcia's room. He had no sign-in sheet, so I just sat down in line.

As I'm sitting there, Kylee calls and wants to know if she can come to the parent-teacher conferences. I told her that I was already there, but if Dad Dad wanted to bring her, I was fine with that. I found out later they BOTH wanted to come, and he did bring them to me. As I'm sitting there Nurse Fagan comes up to bring Mr. Garcia something. When she sees me, she grins real big and asks where the kids are. I tell them they are on their way with their granddad. She says, Oh good, I'm going to tell you something, but you CANNOT tell them I told you, and you CANNOT be upset with them!

UGH!! How do I do that?! But I WANT to hear what she's going to say, especially with her big grin and mischevious look, so...I agree. So she says, Blaine is really structured, isn't he? I was a little taken back. KYLEE is very structured, but Blaine kinda rolls with the flow, always has. BUT...she proceeds to tell me that if something doesn't go his way or things get a little out of whack, he loses control and can't deal. He cries, gets sent to the nurse's office, and she has to go get Kylee to calm him down. Again, taken aback! So I said, How often does this happen? She says, Oh, weekly, maybe a little less than weekly. I said, Weekly since, like, Christmas? She says, No. Weekly since like school started.

You know what I've decided? He's playing her like a fiddle. He wants to see his sister, and he's figured out that this is what makes it happen. I'm sure the first time it happened, he was a new student, maybe a little uneasy or afraid, but after it got his sister to come, he just kept doing it. I am further convinced since JUST yesterday, Kylee mentioned something about not being at the school next year. (She's going to middle school...NEXT door, connected by a library!) Blaine asked where she was going, and she said to middle school. He said, How am I going to see you? He's playing them.

OH, but Nurse Fagan wasn't finished. Kylee had also pulled a stunt, again, shockingly, just that VERY day! Ah, how providential is this?! Anyway, Kylee's been having to use her inhaler at school this week, which Nurse Fagan keeps. (Honestly, Nurse Fagan doesn't even HAVE to keep it, since I and the pediatrician have filled out all the paperwork necessary for Kylee to be able to carry it with her and administer it herself. But then, I guess, how would she get to leave class?)
Anyway, she tells me that Kylee shows up in her office yesterday, and it wasn't even time for her inhaler. Kylee says, Don't tell Mr. Garcia, but I'm fine. I just wanted to talk to you. At this point, the nurse is still giving Kylee the benefit of the doubt, thinking she wants to talk about, you know, "girl stuff". Nope, my daughter just wants to shoot the bull! This is so out of character for her, too. They must have been doing math! (This statement will make more since as this very long post progresses) Anyway, at that point, I was relieved to hear that Nurse Fagan enlightned Little Miss that if Mr. Garcia knew what she was doing, it would break his heart, and that it was to NEVER happen again. Then she let her stay and run a couple of errands for her so Kylee wouldn't be upset. UGH!

About this point, the kids show up. Blaine walks straight over to me, and says, I have a surprise for you! And he hands me a rock, a plain 'ole playground rock, and says, Mommy, it's from outer space!
M: Really? How do you know?
B: Because I was playing on the playground and it hit me on the head. So I looked up, and there was an alien named Blablo. He said, You wanna go to the moon? And I said, I sure do. So we went to the moon.
M: Really? Wow? What was the moon like?
B: It was really cool!
M: What did it feel like to WALK on the moon?
B: No, Mommy, I didn't walk on the moon! Blablo had this machine, and he pushed this button and it made me fly like a rocket. So I just flew around the moon.
M: And where were you SUPPOSED to be while you were flying around the moon, in class?
B: No, Mommy, it was recess time after lunch. So I flew around the moon until the monitor told us it was time to go back in.
M: Wow!
Sure wish I could have those kind of lunches.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...