1/6/10

The Princess and the Wart

Kylee has a plantar's wart...or maybe she HAD a plantar's wart. She has a little pimple-looking thing right below her second and third toe. She started complaining about it a couple of weeks ago, right at Christmas time. I kinda thought it would just go away, since I never had one, so we didn't do anything.

When we were in Midland, she started complaining more and more about it, so I had Myra, the RN, look at it. She thought it was a plantars wart, so we went to Walgreens to get their treatment.

NOTHING. It did NOTHING, no change at all. It kept bothering her more and more as the days went on, so Monday morning I called Dr. Blaine Patel and took her in.

One look, confirmed it was a plantars wart, said it was too deep for Walgreens stuff to help, and sent her to a podiatrist. Luckily, the podiatrist could see us the next day. He told us, more than likely, they would laser it off.

My girl was freaked out! I don't guess I realized how BAD she was freaked out, though, until I picked her up from school to take her. As I checked her out, the receptionist said, Oh, you're here. She's so nervous. Then as I was walking down the hallway, Mrs. Headly, the SWAT teacher said, I told her she would be fine! THEN when I walked in the cafeteria to pick up Blaine from the Y, Coach Leti said, I told her it's no big deal. I've had it done. That's when I knew she was nervous about it, because that morning, when I had written her a note for PE, she said, Seriously? Did you have to tell them WHY I can't do PE?! Evidentally she had gotten over that feeling and told EVERYBODY what was going on.

On our way to the doctor, Blaine said, Mommy, I think she's freaking out. Kylee said, I am. You don't know, Blaine. You've never had a laser. He said, Yeah, but when they took my blood out, they used a needle. That's way worse than a laser! She said, You don't know! Just quit talking to me! I made them talk about something else. The ironic thing was when we got to the doctor, it was in the same building where they took Blaine's blood. Of course, he recognized it RIGHT away.

When we got in the office, Kylee was brave and handled it well....until they called her name. She didn't move. She just sat there. Blaine jumped up, went to the door, and told the nurse, You're not doing me. You're doing her. Kylee slowly got up and we headed back. The nurse asked her to take her socks and shoes off and sit in the chair. The tears began. I don't want to do this. Never mind. Please, Mommy, don't make me do this.

The doctor walked it. Forget it. She was terrified! I calmly told her that she didn't have a choice, that she had to do it, and it was ok to cry, but it was NOT ok to jerk her foot away from him. While she cried, sometimes loudly, through the entire thing, she never once jerked her foot away from the doctor. And for that, I am proud of her. They did NOT laser it. The dug it out, or attempted to. The doctor said he did not get it all because he did not want to hurt her. He put some medicine on it that will, hopefully, pull the rest out. She has to go back in a month. When he said that, she said, I do NOT want to come back here. He laughed, and so did I.

The best part? She cannot get her foot wet for 48 hours. Blaine, who taunted talked to her through the entire thing, was suddenly jealous. He said, No fair she doesn't have to take a bath!

So our princess is feeling better, and hopefully this is the last frog she will have to kiss!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...