7/31/12

WE ARE THE city league CHAMPIONS, MY FRIENDS

So I mentioned in my last post that I didn't get the chance or maybe I just forgot to ask Blaine his favorite and least favorite parts of the first day of school. I had very good reason for the omittance. His championship game for the City League was the same day as his first day of 3rd grade. I didn't even see him after school until I got to the game. It was a mad rush for everybody to get there by six.

We drew (or flipped) and got home team, so we bat last. The first inning was awful. The boys just could not get it together, and the other team was hitting well. They scored 8 on us in the first inning before we got three outs. When we were up to bat, they got three outs before we got any runs. It was scary.

Uncle Henry (Wick) and Aunt Steph showed up for the championship game.

They had never seen one of our games, only heard about them. I was a little upset this is what they came for, but we turned it around.

Going into the bottom of the fourth, it was 5-9. The boys had really rallied in the third inning to score. We only let them have one run in the third. The boys scored four more in the fourth to tie the game.

In coach pitch, we only play five innings, so going into our last inning, it was a tie ball game. My nerves were shot, and I may or may not have been about to puke. We only let them have one run in the last inning, making it 10-11. We needed one to tie, which would have put us in another inning since it was the playoffs, and two to win.

We had one run, one out, and two on base. Chris hit a hard ball to out in center field. The boys took off running. As Alex rounded third, the third baseman tried to trip him. I was livid. Livid. The umpire kind of waved it off, and I tried really hard and failed miserably not to go psycho mom! All three runners came home for the win. And WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, MY FRIEND!!

I later learned that the ump saw what had happened, but let it go, for our benefit. If he had called the foul, if you will, it would have stopped the play and not allowed our other runners to come in for the win, ending the game. I like him now.

I'm so excited for our boys!

So we are the 2012 Summer City League Champions.

I'm not sure what comes next for us in baseball. The SportsPlex, our baseball home, is closed for renovations, which is why we played the summer city league. I know we will play in the fall; I'm just not sure where.

What I do know is how proud I am of this team and their coaches!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...