7/18/12

Hawaii - Hawaiian Traditions Day 3

Monday, day 3 in Hawaii, brought stereotypical Hawaii, surfing and a luau. It just doesn't get more Hawaiian than that.

We were scheduled for surfing and paddle boarding lessons at noon. Mom Mom stayed home with Brodie, Faith, and McKenzie while the rest of us headed out to lessons. In order for us all to be able to have the same time slot, we had to split into groups of six. Joey, Michael, Blaine, Kellie, Kylee, and Gavin went surfing while Dad Dad, Joey, Kyle, Myra, Andrea, Doak, and I went paddle boarding.

I can't tell you much about the surfing lessons, as I obviously didn't go. I know they took a boat out to the waves, and everybody caught a wave on their first try. I know that Jason, the long-haired surf instructor was totally rad. Not much, I know, but I do have pictures.

Joey Kylee Blaine Michael Kellie Gavin I'm pretty sure they loved it.

The other six of us went paddle boarding. I had seen Jennifer Aniston doing it in People magazine, and I really wanted to try it. It was harder than I thought. It wasn't really hard, per se, but exhausting! It was a windy day, which made it even worse! Dad Dad started with us, but he decided he didn't come on vacation to work out, so he ditched us and took pictures. Take that, Jennifer Aniston! Should have gotten our picture, People!

After a quick rest and showers, we were headed to a luau. We had to be there an hour early to pick up our tickets so they wouldn't give them away, so, of course, we used the time for pictures and silliness. While we were trying to take couple's pictures under the luau entrance McKenzie was showing all the women how to pose. Her mother ignored her. The rest of us humored her...and ourselves.

When we walked into the luau, we finally got our leis! They don't give you leis at the airport anymore, and the girls and I were sad. They weren't the flowery kind, but we didn't care. We were just happy to have them.

Then we were handed mai tais and Hawaiian punch, and headed over for a group picture with the luau performers. Before they served dinner, there were lots of fun things to do. There were these ball things that the kids play with and bracelet leis for the girls to make traditional head pieces made from coconut tree leaves for the boys

and tattoos. Then they rang the 'dinner bell.' We were already over by where the pig was cooking. Well, Mom Mom said that's what they wanted us to think, but that it was all just show. So when they pulled that pig out of the ground, she was shocked, and I was tickled. And then we headed in to the dinner tables. I have to say, next time I will probably eat before the luau. The 'appetizers' were spicy seaweed salad, salmon pico de gallo, and a cucumber salad. The main course, of course, was brisket-type pig, chicken-type pig, and a sweet potato. Besides the spicy seawood and the sweet potato, the food was not my favorite. Joey, on the other hand, my picky eater loved it. Weird. The kids seemed to do okay with it and get full enough to not complain. Desert was a tapico-type jello mold and pineapple cake. I didn't even enjoy that.

I did, however, enjoy the entertainment. Before the professional entertainment, the kids took the stage for some hula lessons. See the big tall dude in the green shirt beside Kellie. He went and stood right in front of Kylee for his lessons. It didn't matter how I moved, I couldn't get my girl. Good thing I didn't see where he went and sat when he got off the stage!

And there were also the professional performers. It was a great night, and a must-do Hawaiian experience! Even though it was late, really, really late in Texas, the kids watched it to the very end. On our way out, the kids found one of the dancers to get their picture made with.

But Michael wanted his OWN picture with her! I can't say that I blame him. They actually make a really cute couple! Kylee even told me later, like after we were home, that the guy throwing fire (who we learned was 13 and a national champion at it) was "hot"! Since I didn't learn this until later, I didn't get a picture of him with her, but I do have a picture of him. All I have to say is I'm glad he lives in Hawaii and we live in Texas!

Until tomorrow, Mahalo, Hawaii, for sharing your traditions with us.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...