7/19/12

Hawaii - Pearl Harbor and Sickies Days 5 & 6

Wednesday, Day 5 in Hawaii, included the flea market and Pearl Harbor. We had reservations for a 12:30 tour of the USS Arizona at Pearl Harbor. Dad Dad and Mom Mom told us there was a flea market right up the road from there that would be great for souvenir shopping, so we went there first.

Wouldn't you know, the first thing we come upon is a tattoo man. So most of us got one! McKenzie got TWO!

As we were walking around, Kylee kept telling me her knees hurt. Since she won't swallow a pill, and I wasn't carrying liquid Advil around in my purse, I told her there wasn't really much I could do unless she would at least try to swallow a pill. She wouldn't. She tried sitting down on the curb to try to get her knees to feel better

while we looked around.

At one point, I looked over at her, and there were silent tears streaming down her face. I begged her to take a pill. She wouldn't. I finally asked Myra if she had any children's Advil with her. She didn't have liquid, but she did have some chewables. Kylee agreed to take them.

We all walked around, picked up souvenirs, and got snowcones. Some of the souvenirs, like the magnets, t-shirts, and such Kylee and I bought were much more practical than the numchucks that my son bought...and then stood by the trash can at the flea market to play with them, being encouraged by his father, as I'm sure the purchase was encouraged.

When we headed over to Pearl Harbor, Kylee still seemed a little puny. We got on the boat to go out to the USS Arizona Memorial

and she was burning up! It hadn't been long enough to give her more Advil, so she just had to tough it out. I was pretty concerned about her and knew she was miserable, so I just didn't get a lot of pictures of the memorial.

It was a sombering, yet impressive place. The ship is still in the water, still emitting oil, with brave soldiers still inside. Before we actually got on the boat, we watched a 25 minute video about the day and the attack. Even the kids were so interested. There was a volunteer the day we were there who was a nine-year old boy living by Pearl Harbor on that December 7th. It was amazing to hear his story, and seemed to make it even more real.

There was so much more to see at the Harbor, but when we got off the boat, my poor girl was miserable. I was taking her home. Joey, Blaine, McKenzie and Kellie decided to go with me while the rest of the crew finished touring Pearl Harbor and then went to another beach.

Kylee was miserable the whole rest of the day, sleeping a lot, burning up a lot, and even having the chills. She just didn't do anything, and she wanted me. She came up to our room and slept there that night. Her fever would come and go, and I just kept feeding her Advil. I woke up at midnight, and she was hot again, but that was the last time. The next morning she slept in and seemed to have snapped out of it.

The big boys got up to go golfing,

while the girls and littles hung out at the house. When we had been to surfing lessons, there was a shopping center that we had decided we would return to while the boys golfed. While I was getting ready, Blaine came in with the same look on his face that his sister had had the day before. And he was burning up, but had goosebumps. And that, my friends is why I combined days 5 and 6. This is the only picture I have of day 6,

taken on my iPhone as I lay in bed with my son, who had to be touched or be touching. He slept on and off the entire day, fever coming and going. In one nap, I took the girls to the shopping center, since the boys were gone, and I was the only one authorized to drive the rental, while Mom Mom stayed with Blaine.

While it seems having a day in Hawaii spent laying around is not ideal, I figure if this is where I had to lay with sickies, I was doing pretty good. Don't feel sorry for me. The rest was actually nice.

After the boys returned, the rest of the family sought out two more beaches to enjoy. I wasn't even jealous. I read; Blaine slept and recovered, and Friday, day 7, proved to be amazing.

Stay tuned for that...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...