10/28/09

Genius Clubber

It's been a fun week for both kids in our house!

Remember Kylee's REALLY cool (and genius) teacher? Well, he pulled off his genius again this week. His wife, who is also a teacher, had parent-teacher conferences Monday night, so he was going to have their two kids (both under 3) by himself, AND his beloved Redskins were playing! So...Mr. Genius Garcia invited his whole class AND their families to Wing Daddies to watch his kids the game. These kids love this guy so much that they pushed tables together and sat with him.
(Sorry this isn't a great picture. It's a cell phone picture. I took my camera...with no memory stick in it!)

His kids were entertained, he was fed, AND he got to watch the game and laugh and high five with "friends." How genius is that? AND the kids LOVED it! He's already promised to do it again at THEIR begging!
Kylee was so sweet, too. Joey and Blaine did not go because Blaine had a game, and they needed to be there early. It was just the girls. When they first put the table together for the kids, she kept coming back and forth. She'd come get a bite at our table, talk to me for a minute, and go back and sit with her friends and Mr. Genius Garcia. Finally I said, Kylee, you are NOT going to hurt my feelings if you go sit at that table. My sweet, considerate first born said, But, Mommy, I don't want to leave you alone!!! I said, Kylee, I am okay alone, really. She hesitated, but she took her food and went. (It was literally a table over. She didn't realize I was enjoying listening to her talk and visit with her friends, especially since she obviously thought I couldn't hear her.) But every five minutes or so, she would come to my table to "check" on me.

When I went to pick up the kids at AWANA last night, Blaine's class was still busy, so I picked up Kylee first. She looked kind of sad. When I walked up to her, she said, Mommy, Blaine won Clubber of the Quarter...AGAIN!! (He won it last year, too, as a Cubbie) I said, Wow, that's great! No response. When I asked her what was bothering her, she said she'd tell me later. I, to give her time to think about what she was going to tell me later and not get herself in trouble, said, "Kylee, you really should be happy for your brother, not bitter because YOU didn't win. That's not what AWANA is about, it's not what God would have you do, and it's certainly not what your Dad and I are teaching you." She didn't say much.

When we went to get Blaine, his class was still busy, so Kylee asked me to come in the bathroom with her. I really think she WAS upset that Blaine got a trophy and she didn't, but she knew better than to express it. So she told me that the reason she was upset is because the girl who won Clubber of the Quarter in her class didn't even act like she cared about it. I told her that it didn't matter how the other girl acted, that the teachers obviously thought she deserved it, and that didn't mean she (Kylee) was not a GREAT clubber! She said she knew, and we set off to get Blaine.

Blaine, of course, comes out waving his trophy, so proud. Kylee acted excited and proud of him (bless her heart!), and I was proud of them both. I realized that Blaine won Clubber of the Quarter on CRAZY HAIR DAY!!! So now his picture is posted on the bulletin in the foyer of the church with his trophy... and crazy hair!!

Blaine called Mom Mom to tell her about his trophy. He told her he won because he be'd and listened and did just like in school, be'd still and did what he was told, and learned his berses (verses). Such a charming kid, he is. And he has a GREAT memory, too.

So blessed and proud of my kiddos!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...