12/10/11

A Week for the Record Books...ehhh...Blog

Tuesday night we came home to Blaine saying, Mom, what is that noise? What noise, son? Then he said, Oh, no! I just stepped in water!

Then I heard the noise he was talking about. It was a definite spraying noise, and our kitchen was a lake! The water pipe in the wall by the washer had burst. Joey is harvesting and never home, so I called him to tell him he MUST come home. He told me to turn the water off at the curb and he would be home as soon as he could. After the Gus, our favorite neighbor boy, turned the water off becuase somebody wasn't strong enough to do it, I told the kids, We're outta here! We went shopping and to eat.

When Joey got home, he tried to fix it, to no avail. We called a plumber, but we wouldn't have water until the next day. I never realized what you cannot do without water. I would have been a total failure in the olden days. But the next morning and $125 later, we had water.

The day after that, I get a phone call at work from Joey. He said, Your son has just been suspended from school. He's lucky he didn't cause my death, because I was afraid I was having a heart attack! He had a .22 shell in his jacket pocket. And...it was my fault!

That morning when he put the jacket he had been wearing to school on, I told him it was too little and threw him another one. The one he wore hunting. While he was sitting in class, he put his hand in his pocket and realized it was there. He took it straight to the teacher, bless his heart, and told her he knew he wasn't supposed to have it at school but wasn't sure what to do with it. Doing her job, she called the principal.

The principal came and got him, took him to the office, and talked to him about the situation. The normal consequence for having ammo on school campus is automatic referral to KEYS (alternative school) for a week. Joey and I may or may not have said a few ugly words when we heard this, though we will never admit anything, but we only said them to each other. After talking, Joey and I agreed he needed to handle this one, because I may or may not have lost my cool.

To make a very heart-wrenching, emotional story a little shorter, Joey convinced them that his SEVEN-year old had used his common sense, and now they should use theirs in the punishment. They suspended him for one day. We told Blaine he had done the right thing and was NOT in trouble at home, and that he should go enjoy his day at the farm with his Daddy. He told us everybody was very nice to him, and that made his mommy feel so much better.

The next day, I asked him if he had free dress. He said, How would I know? I was uh-spended, remember?! Oh, yeah, that. While I was making lotions for the teachers at school, he informed me he'd like one for the principal who "had to" uh-spend him. Such a good hearted, kid.

Even through the turmoil of this week, we realize we are so blessed!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...