6/20/11

NYC Adventure - Day 3

Sunday morning we were up and at 'em again. And it was still cold and drizzely. I made everybody pack one hoodie and a pair of pants, and I was so glad I did. I'm just relaying this so when you see the kids wearing the same clothes in the pictures, they are really only wearing the same hoodie. Their clothes are clean. We did shower on vacation.

We had our NBC Studio tour tickets for 3:15, and so we headed to the Empire State Buildingfor the morning, which precipitated taking our first subwayride. The kids loved it! I think they were just excited to not have to walk.

Before heading to the top, we rode the NYSkyRide. It is kind of like the Soaring California at DisneyLand. It takes you on a simulated helicopter ride through NYC. Personally, I had to close my eyes through most of it, as I get motion sick, but the rest of the family thought it was "so cool". And although it was a bit cloudy and foggy, the views from the topwere still breathtaking, and it was an amazingexperience.

Our first day, Kylee had been bitten by something on her hand. We had been rubbing Ben@dryl cream on it, but it had begun to spread up her arm. So after a stop at the Walgreens in the Empire State Building to visit the pharmacist, some oral Ben@dryl, and a walk through China Town, we jumped back on the subway,much to Blaine's delight, to go back over toward NBC.

We stopped at Ellen'sfor some lunch. I found this diner in my NYC with Kids book I had done some of my research in. All the waiters are Broadway hopefuls just trying to make a living before they hit it big, so they all singBroadway tunes while you wait/eat. I thought Kylee would enjoy it. Our waitresswas actually from Texas, Ft. Worth, and it was fun talking to her about living in the Big Apple trying to make it on Broadway.

Our NBCtour was really neat, but there were no pictures allowed. We saw Dr. Oz's stage, Jimmy Falon's stage, which used to be Johnny Carson's, the Saturday Night Live Stage, and learned a lot about how things are really done. At the end of the tour, you go to the news roomwhere they choose two people to do the news. Joey was picked to do the weather. It was so fun, and they secretely recorded it. We bought the DVD of it, but they have the video and audio on two separate files, making it seemingly impossible for me to get it on here. Copyright maybe? Who knows. I'll keep trying. It's so funny!

Then we were off to another new adventure, a pedi cab!This poor guy peddled all four of us around the streets of NYC past the Applestore, toWhat a NEAT-O place!! This was one of Kylee'spics, but one her brothertotally agreed with. After all, who can argue with three stories of candy goodness? Certainly not my kids. In fact, Blaine got so excited filling his souvenir can with candy, he dropped what I thought would have been a 25 cent gumball. Turns out I was wrong. See that"Candy Spill" on our reciept? Yup, that's the gumball drop. (Don't worry. He wasn't in trouble. He really was trying to be careful.) When we went to leave, guess what was across the street?I'm telling you, there is something for everyone on every block in this city!

We had had a full day, needed to be up earlier the next morning, and the kids had been begging to go swimming, so we headed back to the hotel. I told Blaine to go (I could see him the whole time) ask the front desk where the pool was. When I noticed her writing it down, I decided I better just go over there. Turns out, the swimming pool was actually across the street at their sister hotel. For some reason, that thrilled the kids. Personally, walking down the street in Times Square in my swimsuit does nothing for me. Whatever. We went over and let them swim, had some supper in the yummy deli across the stree, and headed off to bed for our early-er morning on day 4.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...