4/3/11

Letter to My 12 Year Old

Dear Kylee,

How can you be 12?! Twelve years ago on this day, I held my first born 5lb baby girl in my arms while I held terror in my heart. I wanted to do everything so perfect for you, but I had no idea how I was going to pull that off. It was just you and I against the world. Twelve years later, I'm convinced you and I pulled it off together. While I taught you to walk and talk, you taught me the joys of this world.

Today, you are no longer my tiny baby but an amazing young lady. As I type this, you are in the other room giggling. Your laugh has changed so much. You now have the laugh you will probably have for the rest of your life. It's less baby or toddler sounding, but it is music to my ears, nonetheless. I love that sound!

What an amazing dancer you are, a skill you did not inherit from me. You have rhythm that doesn't quit. You can move your body in ways I only dreamed of moving mine. You also I have a dedication that doesn't quit. You do all you can to be at dance every time you are supposed to, even if it is six hours a week, and often after an already tiring day of school.

Although you can be so shy at times around people you don't know, your leadership skills still shine through. The teachers are always asking you to help them because they know they can count on you. You are always being picked for top honors at school. Almost every year of your seven school years, you were chosen for the top award of your class, the citizenship award. When you decide to go for something, you always achieve it.

Your heart for others is just like your Mom Mom's. You worry about people who are down. Even when you may not be having the best day, if somebody else is down, you will make yourself sick trying to make them feel better. You never forget a birthday. Like me, you set out to find the perfect gift and acheive it every time. I cannot express how that kind of selflessness makes my heart swell with pride.

The best two things I've done in my life are give birth to you and your brother. I could never have planned for, asked for, or created a better Diddy than you are to Blaine. I know he annoys you. I know sometimes you just wish he would go away. But your love for him surpasses it all. I could step out of the picture and be confident you would mother him just the way I would want him to be loved and mothered if I weren't around.

Kylee McK, the things I could write about you would fill all the books in the world. I could brag about you until eternity. So on this, your 12th birthday, I will leave you with my song to you. I love you, sweet girl!

Love,
Mommy





In My Daughter's Eyes

In my daughter's eyes I am a hero
I am strong and wise and I know no fear
But the truth is plain to see
She was sent to rescue me
I see who I wanna be
In my daughter's eyes

In my daughter's eyes everyone is equal
Darkness turns to light and the
world is at peace
This miracle God gave to me gives me
strength when I am weak
I find reason to believe
In my daughter's eyes

And when she wraps her hand
around my finger
Oh it puts a smile in my heart
Everything becomes a little clearer
I realize what life is all about

It's hangin' on when your heart
has had enough
It's giving more when you feel like giving up
I've seen the light
It's in my daughter's eyes

In my daughter's eyes I can see the future
A reflection of who I am and what will be
Though she'll grow and someday leave
Maybe raise a family
When I'm gone I hope you see how happy
she made me
For I'll be there
In my daughter's eyes

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...