4/30/12

I Don't Have Anything Else

I woke up Friday morning and was getting ready for work, so excited it was the weekend. Then I get this text:
I knew I couldn't go Friday night, as I had promised Kylee and Jill I would help Jill make a t-shirt for her NJHS presidential campaign, like I did for Kylee's campaign in the 5th grade. But I was seriously considering going Saturday morning. Kylee had dance rehearsal, but not a performance, and Blaine had a game, but he does every Saturday. I was thinking maybe, just maybe, I'd go to Ruidoso and just lay, just be. I wasn't real sure yet. After work, I picked up the kids, Jill included from Dad Dad and Mom Mom's, and we headed to Hobby Lobby to get supplies for the campaign. Joey picked Blaine up while we were there to go to the batting cages. The girls and I had a plan for the t-shirt and campaign 'pass-outs', had the material, and were headed home to make it all happen. As I was turning right at one of those little yield places at a stop light, I was sitting a dead stop waiting on traffic, and I was hit. Again. Granted, I didn't spin around or face the wrong way or anything, but I had been hit. Again. I was so upset.
I think for a minute, I just sat there, stunned. In hindsight, the girls were very calm as well. They were just calmly asking for napkins because Jill had spilled her coke. As I was sitting there, I just kept looking in my rearview mirror at the guy that hit me. As I think back to it all, it seems a little like it was in slow motion. Then I realized I was totally blocking anybody else from turning right at that light, so I pulled up some to get out of the way of traffic. Big mistake. I pulled up and got out of the car. As I did, I turned around just in time to see this...this...this MAN! in the white Ford Expedition that hit me jump the median between the yield sign and the light, go the wrong way on the street, head back the other way, swerve into the right lane of traffic, and haul butt. I was SCREAMING at the girls to get his license plate, but the way he was driving and the speed with which it all happened, we only got the first letter...C. Texas plates. I called Joey, told him I had been hit again, where I was and to hurry up. I was freaking out! Then I called 911. As I did, another call with two VERY nice girls pulled up in front of me. The passenger got out and told me she had seen the whole thing and just wanted to be able to give the cops her name and number. She said she got a description of the vehicle, but on the first two letters of the license plate. CV. She was so sweet! The cops said I could go on home, since the guy ran and I had the witness's name and number, and they would send a unit to the house. When Joey got there, I just lost it. I'm not sure if it was because it was so soon after my last accident, or because the girls were with me, or because the MAN! ran...I don't know. I drove to the house, Joey behind me, crying the whole way. I bet I cried for an hour. And then after that every time I thought about it, I cried again. And I kept seeing that MAN's face! The cop came, we gave him all the information we had, and, of course, he said without a license plate number, there's really nothing they could do. Of course. Kylee asked me if I was still going to Ruidoso. Umm...I'm ESPECIALLY going now. I cried on and off through the rest of the evening. So weird. I really just could not shake it. I got up Saturday morning, still feeling so shaky and unsettled, packed my stuff, and was Ruidoso bound.

My favorite part of heading to Ruidoso is when you come up on this hill. I know this isn't the first time I've take or posted this same picture, just in different seasons. Every time I round that corner and see that, I feel peace settling in. And it worked this time, too. I met Dawn in town for a little shopping and some lunch, and then we headed back out to the house.

I could have sat on this porch for a week and never got tired of it. Give me this porch, a good book, and some good tea...heaven. It was just what I needed. I took no other pictures, you know ones of like Daddy and Dawn or me with them. As much as I love to have the pictures, it was kind of nice, too, not to have to worry about capturing the memories. Sometimes I'm so caught up in making sure I capture them that I don't relax. Well, I was very relaxed..and slept so good.

The kids had a pretty good time without me, too. Blaine won his baseball game. He even hit left-handed three times, just to try it out. Kylee, of course, spent the night with Dad Dad and Mom Mom, no surprise there. Sunday they took her and her friend Abby to a play at the UTEP dinner theater. Blaine went and played softball with his Daddy. I mean, actually played. He called me and told me all about playing right fields with the 40 year olds, how he kept one of the men at first base, and how he even hit and made it to base. After he was finished telling me about it, he said, "Okay, Mom. I'm sorry, but that's all I have to say. I don't have anything else. Love you. Bye."

And that was our weekend. I'm sorry, but that's I have to say. I don't have anything else.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...