4/2/12

Kylee's 13th Birthday Party

We had a cRaZy weekend! Friday night we took Blaine to Cattleman's for his birthday dinner, but I'm going to skip that post to get to Kylee's birthday party Saturday night. I'll get back to it...or maybe I'll combine it with Kylee's birthday dinner. We'll see.
Kylee designed and made her own birthday party invitation this year. This mama was not too thrilled with the 'no clothes' part, but I let it go. She's turning 13, and it was for a select few girls this year, so I decided to pick my battles.

We had a backyard movie night/smores/sleepover party...all her idea. I wanted to have a 'glamping' party, where we set up a tent outside but made it glamorous. Not my girl. She said, "I am NOT sleeping outside!" So she and Kellie set up the 'seating chart' to help get ready.
She complained that it was so hard to decide where to put everybody because they couldn't all sit by her. Ummm...no, kid, you don't have 10 sides. We put the blue tarp down on the grass because it has not gotten green and soft yet, and I didn't want the girls to have to walk on dry, hard, pokey grass.

She also designed her birthday cake, which we had Rocio make, and it was perfect and so so good!
She may have been watching too much Cake Boss, though, because she wanted buttercream frosting, not fondant, and a chocolate cake with a chocolate fudge center.

When the girls got there, we started with pizza. Their party favors were their camping chairs and monogrammed fleece blankets (which I got no picture of...ugh!) with their names on them. After pizza, we broke out the fabric paints for a little decorating.

You'll notice we have one that is not quite 13, even if she thinks she is. McKenzie so wanted to be a part of the big girls that, of course, I let her stay...with the promise that Kellie would NOT be responsible for her, and she would NOT sleep with Kellie. I wanted to have my mini, but I didn't want to ruin the fun for her sister either.

The rest of the family
stopped by for the singing of Happy birthday and the oh-so-delicious cake.

After the cake, while Joey was trying to get the projector set up, the girls wanted to go check out the vacant house next door. It's always wide open, and it was dark, so we headed over. Somebody, who shall remain nameless because Kylee loves her and we want to keep it that way, had the idea for Derek and Kyle and Myra to sneak over and hide in the house to scare the girls. When we went in, McKenzie was already clinging to me, scared out of her mind, and nothing had even happened. I decided I better just stay at the door with her, so I have no pictures of this event. When the big girls walked into one of the bedrooms, here come the screams! It was so funny! And...they loved it. Kylee told me later it was her favorite party of the party. REALLY?!?! After all the work I did?! It's like a kid loving the box better than the present at Christmas!

Then it was movie time...
or so we thought. We could get the movie going, but it kept skipping, and it was driving Kylee crazy! So we took a little break and opened presents while Joey cleaned the projector.

After cleaning the projector, we couldn't even get it back on. I was so upset, but the girls didn't seem to mind. They just moved in to the living room and watched Grease there

when not being interrupted by a little extra entertainment.


This is the song that doesn't end, 'cause it goes on and on, my friend. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was...

After the movies, there were s'mores.

And then Mama was done for the night! I made them come inside, told them I was setting the alarm, and went to bed. I heard them in Kylee's room laughing and giggling. I let McKenzie stay in there with them while I washed my face and got my pajamas on. Then I made her come to bed with me.

Sunday morning, I was up and at 'em early because a couple of girls had to be gone early for church, and Kylee was performing at Generation 2000 at 11. When I peeked in on the girls, it looked like a bunch of sardines.
To go with the colorful theme, we had colorful waffles and fruit for breakfast.


I think they all had a great time, and in my opinion, it was a very appropriate way to welcome the teenage years. Pray for us!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...