3/1/12

One Act Play

When I wrote the Talking About My Girl post, I had no idea the drama that would unfold not on the stage, but off!

After 'getting the part', the rehearsal schedule was grueling. Not only were they practicing at school during Theater Arts, they were practicing three times a week for two hours in the evenings for the month of February. We were finding 'costumes' and play fruit and make-up and just the right stuff for this One Act Play. She was having to miss dance and family dinners to be there, but I think she was loving every long minute of it.

Then she got sick. Both Blaine's and her asthma reared it's ugly head. Her throat hurt. She had a headache. She couldn't get enough air. And she couldn't project her voice. She was replaced by the alternate for her part. She was devastated. She cried that it wasn't her fault. I tried to explain to her that it was totally not her fault, but it wasn't the teacher's fault either, and they needed the best on stage for the UIL competition. She cried that I was her mother and should be on her side. It was rough. The tears were heartbreaking, and I believe her heart was really breaking.

Although the alternate had taken the official position, Kylee still was working so hard. She was still at every rehearsal, working on props, running the sound, and directing the lights. I was so proud of her for pushing through her heartbreak and working hard for her team.

Saturday was the big day, the official UIL competition. Because she had worked so hard and been so dedicated, even though she wasn't on the stage, we went to watch what her hard work had done. Copyright laws prevent videotaping or even taking pictures, so I have nothing. I spent more time looking towards the back where I could see her in neon lighting through a little window at the top of the theater with her headphones on.

They didn't place. At all. Not even a blip on the radar. Again the tears. Again the heartbreak. It was awful. She cried and ranted and cried some more. She wanted to talk about it. Then she didn't. The other teams (companies? performing acts? i don't know the wording here) were mean to them, and the winning team wasn't gracious. They were rude and gloating, and it was more than my sweet girl's heart could take.

Mrs. Moore, the theater arts teacher, set up a time for the alternates to perform for their parents at the Americas theater last night. Luckily, Kylee has gone through all the emotions of the disappointment and heartbreak, and she was excited. Again, copyright laws prohibit any videotaping, but, ya'll, those alternates performed! It was great, better than Saturday's performance, and I don't just mean Kylee. I think all of the alternates were amazing!

After they performed, we were allowed to take some pictures of them onstage.

And maybe to prove to me she is fine and over the heartbreak and back to my sweet, outgoing, loving, happy girl, the Good Lord gave me this,

my girl. Dramatic. Silly. Beautiful. A smile that slays me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...