3/29/12

Letter to My 8 Year Old

Dear Blaine,

Eight years ago today, I went to the hospital to welcome my favorite boy in the world. Today I sent my 8-year old second grader off to school where he is a favorite of many there, too. Oh, how my heart swells to watch you jump out of the car into a crowd of other 8-year olds calling your name, a name your Daddy and I chose just for you. I think it's perfect for you.

Blaine isn't a commonly used name, and you, son, are anything but common. I'm pretty sure it's not common to have an 8-year to play every baseball game like he is in the world series, spend hours with his Daddy arranging and rearranging baseball cards, making sure the 'Red Sucks' are in the back, all the while begging for ice skates, hockey stuff, and a bowling ball for his birthday...since you couldn't have a birthday party AND an iPad.

Blaine is, though, a classic name, and you are a classic boy. Outside is where you want to be. Just last night, when I told you there was still about 30 minutes before baseball practice, you were singing, 'I love my backyard time, more backyard time, oh yea.' I'm pretty sure most boys have moments of potty mouth, like when just two days ago at Starbucks the lady behind us honked and you said, 'Screw you, lady.' (Yes, your Daddy had a talk with you about that because, you know, we are your parents, and you need to watch your mouth. When you got in bed that night, though, we laughed and laughed.)

There are different meanings in different languages for Blaine, but in English, Blaine means yellow. I did not know that when you named you, but that, too, is true to my Blaine. Your personality is so yellow! It's bright and vibrant and outgoing. Just as the sunshine is yellow and lights the world, you are my sunshine! You light my world and make things in my life so much brighter.

On your 8th birthday, just remember that know matter how old you get and how the number of your age climbs, you will always be my baby boy.

I love you, son!
Mommy


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...