8/21/09

Max and other comforters

I'd like to introduce you to Max. We met Max about four years ago. Blaine was 18 months old and was always talking to somebody. When I say talking, I mean talking. This child came out of the chute talking, not babbling. Anyway, after several weeks of him talking when he was alone, one day I asked him who he was talking to. He turned to me with a straight, serious little baby face and said, "Max." When I asked him who Max was, he told me, "My brudda (brother.)" And so I was introduced to Max.

Max is very real, as you will soon see, but Blaine does not take it too far. If you ask him if Max wants something to eat or drink or something, he will whisper to you that he's not really real. But in every sense of the word, Max is real to Blaine.

At the time Max lived next door with "the boys". The boys were three pre-teen and teenage boys who lived next door. I'm not sure how it worked because Max seemed to always be at our house, but I was told he lived with the boys. Max was the best friend EVER. Blaine was NEVER bored, never lonely, never scared because Max made everything better. Max has done everything and been everywhere.

When we moved to the new house, Max moved in with us. I guess five houses was just too far for them to be apart. Blaine was still in a crib (He did, of course, stay there until he was FOUR because his crib was his "best friend", as was his diapers and his pacifier and everything else we had to take away. I finally MADE him get out when I was afraid he was going to break his arm or leg with it got stuck.) but I had a bed in his room, since it was the guest room before he was born. So Blaine slept in his crib, and Max slept in the big bed.

Once Max took a vacation to DisneyLand. Every night for five nights Max would call to relay all his many adventures to Blaine. Blaine would tell us, in detail, everything Max had done that day. He was like three. It was pretty amazing. Then this summer before our trip to the beach, Max had four beach beds, so he went up a week before us to prepare everything.

About a year ago, Max opened a hotel. It's location moves all the time, but I have a feeling it's pretty much like the Suite Life of Zach and Cody's hotel. Evidentally it's pretty awesome, but it's always too busy for us to go there. Or if somehow he has told us it's in a location we happen to be going, it moves.

About six months ago, Max was put in jail for driving into a tree. It was about the time we really started talking about kindergarten. I had a sinking sensation this would be the end of Max and Blaine's relationship since he was growing up. To my Mommy-pleasing surprise, it wasn't. Three days later Max was out of jail.

A couple of weeks later, my poor boy was totally exhausted one night. He came in, bawling, to tell me that his sister wouldn't play with him. I told him to call Max. He told me that Max was at the hotel. I told him to call the hotel; all hotels have phones. He told me that when he got thrown in jail, the police had turned the hotel's phone off. I told him to call his cell phone. He told me he already had, but that it rang in his bedroom, so Max left it there. This baby was beyond exhausted and asleep within 20 minutes of this conversation, but he KNEW what he was talking about. Tell me this guy isn't real!

To top it off, he has, evidentally, told his friends at school about Max. I wonder if THEY think he's real.

I obviously don't have a picture of Max, but MAYBE he's in this one or at least had something to DO with this one.
Whatcha think? And if you check the Vacation Part I post from last month, you will find a video Max is CERTAINLY in.

This is like Kylee's arm sucking that we thought she would stop when she started school. She puts her arm up to her face, right above her lips, and kind of sucks. She's not really sucking her arm, just more the air or something.

I actually have a video of her doing it in-utero. She has done it since day one, literally. She used to do it ALL THE TIME. Then as she got older, she started doing it just when she was tired or lazy or just needed some comfort. It gradually changed from her whole arm being up in her face to, if people were around, just kind of holding her chin in her hand with her finger above her lip. She will also "suck" on other people if she loves them so much.

We used to tease about her being in kindergarten, raising one hand to answer her teacher's question, with the other one across her face. Little did we know that would ACTUALLY happen. She has NO shame about it either. One time in second grade, Crystal (the smartest girl in school) asked Kylee what she was doing. Kylee, shameless, told her not to worry about it because it wasn't hurting her.

This girl went through stages where she would NOT wear long-sleeved shirts that were hard to push up because she would say, "I can't suck my arm." She has turned down lipstick, face-paintings, and halloween costumes that would make it too hard to suck her arm. She is now in the fifth grade, and STILL sucks her arm. As I said, if there are people around, it has gotten a lot more suptle but frequent, nonetheless.


Remember the Kylee's first date post?? She sucked her arm in the movie, very inconspicuously, but.....hey, when you need a little comfort, you need a little comfort!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...