3/29/11

Letter to My 7 Year Old

Dear Blaine,

Today is your 7th bithday. My baby boy is SEVEN YEARS OLD! Though I tease you all the time about not "letting" you grow up, it is so fun to watch. You are such a neat, special guy.

There are so many reasons to be proud of you. You are such an amazing baseball player and have such a heart for the game. It amazes me how quickly your brain works, and that doesn't include only in baseball. But to watch you watch the ball and your teammates and the other team's players and know exactly what moves you are going to make depending on where the ball ends up, amazes me, truly. I'm so proud of the way you are so dedicated to the game, your teammates, and your coaches. You give your all every time you are on that field, whether it be for practice or a game.

I could not have hand picked a funnier kiddo. Everybody who knows me knows if you or it makes me laugh, I'm all about that. You, my son, are funny beyond words, and it is not even something I got to pick or decide. The Lord knew you and I were meant to be a pair! Although you are such a boy and so into all things boy and so much like your Daddy, too, you and I are quite alike in so many ways. We love to read, you and I. I love to wonder where my rambunctious boy is because the house is so quiet, only to find you curled up on the couch or on your bed reading your chapter books. You love to relax in a nice, warm bath, too. While most, including the other two people living in our home, bathe simply for the necessity of being clean, you and I know how to enjoy us a good bath. Last month you sealed this bond of ours when you asked me to go get your chapter book while you were bathing.

You are so brave. We can put you in any situation, and you excel. When you started school, you went right in and made friends. You didn't need me hanging out to make sure you were ok. The teachers and faculty at school think the world of you. It makes me so proud that, although you can be a bit mischevious, you are so respectful of others. The adults and kids alike flock to you.

You are such a good "baby brother". You love your Diddy with your whole heart and soul. Have I told you how much I love that you call her Diddy? It makes my heart melt to hear you call her. Yes, you are still brother and sister, and, yes, you still have your arguments, but they never last long. You know how much she loves you and how much you need her to be you.

So while you are growing up and just yesterday got new "grown up" athletic shoes becuase your light-up Sketchers are so for six year olds and under, you are still and will always be my baby boy. Though you no longer say "hectacolla" for helicopter, you still say, "Let me guess" instead of "Let me think." And while I can no longer carry you in my arms and nuzzle that sweet neck, you still let me cuddle with you and kiss you in front of your friends.

So on this, one of the two greatest days in my life, Happy birthday, Blaine Caleb!

Love,
Your biggest fan a.k.a Mommy

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...