9/11/10

Another First...A Broken Bone

Ah, yes, another first. Only this is NOT first we are excited about.

Tuesday night when Blaine and Joey got home from tball practice, Blaine was holding his shoulder. Joey went and got him some ice to put on it. When I asked what happened, he acted like it was no big deal. He said, "Oh the boys were playing after practice and he fell." I figured it was no big deal.

I tried feeding Blaine supper; he wanted no part of it. Any time anybody would get near him, he would scream. I started thinking this was not like him. When I asked Joey how he fell, he didn't really know becuase he hadn't seen it. (We have since found out from the boys and one of the dads that the boys were holding hands and spinning in a circle. Blaine fell, and the boys were still holding his hands. He hit the ground just right.) When we tried to look at his shoulder, he wouldn't let us take his shirt off, and he would scream. As long as he was still, he seemed ok, but any movement at all, he freaked!

I told Joey this was just not like him, and I felt like something was really wrong. We packed up Kylee, took her to Mom Mom's, and headed to the ER. After our three hour wait, a slingand an x-ray, we know that his clavicle (collar bone) is broken. He LOVED that his shark tooth necklace showed up in his x-ray!

He has been SUCH trooper, y'all. He makes me so proud. We got home from the ER about 12:30 and put him to bed. Sleep is really the hardest thing because he rolls over on it, and it really hurts. He's called out my name in the night three to five times since Tuesday, but I don't mind. He has been so good about it all.

Wednesday morning, I called our pediatrician, had the x-rays transferred to his office, and waited for a call back. Blaine wanted me to make sure he saw his shark tooth necklace in the x-ray. While we waited for the call back, Blaine watched TV, played cars and iPod, but he never complained.

The pediatrician called, confirmed it was broken, and wanted him seen by an orthopedic surgeon that day. When I told Blaine we needed to go, he was so upset. He just kept saying, "I just need to be in my home!" He didn't cry, didn't throw a fit, though. He went. When the orthopedist walked in and said, "How are you, Buddy?" Blaine said, "I'm ok. I broke my bone, but I just want to go to my home." The surgeon told us it was a clean break (the ONLY thing my son does clean is break his bones, but at this point, I'll take it!) and he would not need surgery! Yay!

I finally got to take Blaine to his home to stay. I didn't send him to school Thursday either because I just felt like he needed to rest and let it be a little less tender. Plus, I was scared to death somebody was going to hurt him! I guess it's just the mom in me.

Thursday night, I took Blaine to see his buddies at tball during practice. They were all so happy to see him! It's going to be a LONG six weeks keeping him from playing with those guys! When Joey came home from practice, he brought a card that all the boys signed. (I just went to take a picture of it, but my camera battery is dead, so I will post it here later.) Blaine kept looking at it, holding it, rubbing it. He said, "Mommy, this card really does make me feel better."

SO proud of this boy with a broken collar bone!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...